Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Father's Day! Feliz dia del padre!!

Father’s Day!
This post is about two weeks late – I had it all typed up and ready to go, but my computer charger died, and this blog was tucked away until I had time to go buy a charger.

Father’s day in Bolivia is always the 19th of March. This year that happened to fall on a Thursday. On Wednesday afternoon. I was at the girls house ironing uniforms, and one of the girls, S, asked me if I could come to a special program at her school as her dad. All of the kids go to the same school this year, so all of the volunteers and staff were invited to go as “honorary dads”.

It worked out that I had a three hour break in-between teaching classes at Carachipampa, so in between substituting for 2nd grade and teaching PE I got on a trufi (bus), and went to the school. All of the littlest kids were dressed up in their father’s oversized clothes, and did a little dance performance. Two of our youngest kids were in this class, and had rented men’s clothes from a costume shop down the street.
K is one of the youngest boys in the black suit jacket.

Waiting for a snack after their performance!

After the dances, all of the volunteers and staff split up to have lunch with the kids. Each class had prepared something different! S’ class had made delicious chicken, salad, fried banana, and of course… potatoes. Each child also made a card for their father – so I received my first father’s day card!!
The potatoes are hidden, but I promise they're there! 

S with her cute card!

Translation: Mom, you are so pretty. (This might not have originally been intended for me since she has NEVER seen me in a dress or heels. hahahah(

It was a fun, but also emotional afternoon. As honored as I was to be able to attend, I am not a father. Although Casa de Amor took the time to find “honorary fathers” for the children, there were other children that were left to eat lunch alone. In S’ class there was one little girl that had brought two plates from home, but no one ever came to eat the extra plate of food. On the way home from the event, one of the girls told me that she still had her Father’s Day card, because she didn’t know who to give it to.

We started to talk about how God has promised to be our Father, and how He is always with us. I am so thankful for God’s promises to us, and the fact that He has shown us what it means to be a good father. Please continue to pray for the children of Casa de Amor – that they would not only know the love of their Father God, but they would also be able to see and experience the love of a father here on earth.


Thank you guys! Happy late Father’s Day! Feliz dia del padre! J

1 comment:

  1. It will probably be your last Father's Day card too!! You make a very cute father!! Thanks for being there for S. It looks like you scored on the food!

    ReplyDelete

How Can I Pray for Bolivia & COVID-19?

  Covid 19 has affected Bolivia in many ways, but these are three main three areas that stand out, and ways we can pray . 1.        Mid-Ma...