Wednesday, April 30, 2014

This is a sign!

I know a lot people who collect things. Some things are normal, like coffee mugs, rocks, shot glasses, t-shirts, or even salt and pepper shakers. I am cheap, so I collect pictures of funny signs. Some of the cheesiest signs are church marquees.  I don’t know who comes up with them, but they usually make me laugh. Even when they’re serious.
Not the person that did this sign!
This one is just cheesy.

But every once in a while, church signs are encouraging.  This last Wednesday was my last day of work, and as I left I got stuck in a HUGE traffic jam. For an hour and a half I waited as everyone had to exit the highway and take an alternate route. As I sat in traffic, I started to pray, thinking of all the things that need to happen in the next 2-3 months before leaving for Bolivia.  I was starting to realize that I was completely unemployed, and completely dependent on the Lord to provide. I was confident that I was where I needed to be, but at the same time, I was unsure of how it was going to happen.

Then as I was sitting in traffic, I noticed a church sign on the side of the road. It was electronic, so it flashed a few words at a time, “ DO NOT FEAR – I AM WITH YOU- DO NOT BE DISMAYED – I AM YOUR GOD- I WILL STRENGTHEN YOU- AND HELP YOU – I WILL UPHOLD YOU- WITH MY RIGHT HAND” and then traffic moved. I thanked God for the reminder, and made a note to look up the verse when I got home.

30 minutes later I was still sitting in traffic, and had started to make a to-do list in my mind. As I made my list in my head, I started to get anxious again. Then I felt my phone buzz. Because I was in traffic that wasn’t moving, I picked it up to see an email from a mentor. She was checking in to see how I was doing, and shared a verse with me. Someone had shared this verse with her 18 years before as she and her family moved to Bolivia. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. “  Isaiah 41:10
Well, no need to look it up anymore! What are the chances that in a span of 30 minutes in traffic I would be reminded of the same verse two times! The Lord is so faithful to remind us of His faithfulness and goodness when we forget. How encouraging that God speaks to us…even if He has to shut down the highway and repeat himself for us to listen!
 
**If you are interested in giving to what the Lord is doing in Bolivia through me, I would love to talk with you more! **
To give a monthly or one time gift online, please visit https://web.simusa.org/give/index.php?FundID=042110-001&LNme=Graves&Dsg=Support 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Can I Pray for Bolivia & COVID-19?

  Covid 19 has affected Bolivia in many ways, but these are three main three areas that stand out, and ways we can pray . 1.        Mid-Ma...